- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar (powdered sugar)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup ground almonds or almond meal
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Additional confectioners’ sugar for dusting
1. Preheat the Oven:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Cream Butter and Sugar:
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter and 1/2 cup of confectioners’ sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy.
3. Add Flavors:
- Mix in the vanilla extract and almond extract.
4. Combine Dry Ingredients:
- In a separate bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, ground almonds, and salt.
5. Mix the Dough:
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, mixing until a soft dough forms.
6. Shape the Crescents:
- Take portions of the dough and shape them into small crescent or crescent moon shapes. The dough should be about 1 inch in diameter and 2-3 inches long. Place them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the crescents in the preheated oven for approximately 15-18 minutes, or until they are lightly golden brown.
- Allow the cookies to cool on a wire rack.
9. Dust with Powdered Sugar:
- Once the cookies have cooled, dust them generously with additional confectioners’ sugar. You can do this while the cookies are still slightly warm.
- Viennese Crescents are traditionally served as a delicate and crumbly treat. Enjoy with a cup of tea or coffee.
Cooking Time: The baking time is approximately 15-18 minutes.
Serving Size: This recipe makes about 24 Viennese Crescents.