For the Candied Yams:
- 4 to 5 medium yams or sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Topping:
- 1 cup mini marshmallows (optional)
1. Preheat the Oven:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
2. Prepare the Yams:
- Peel the yams or sweet potatoes and slice them into 1/2-inch rounds. Place the slices in a large baking dish.
3. Make the Candied Yams:
- In a mixing bowl, combine the melted unsalted butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, salt, and vanilla extract. Stir until you have a smooth, sweet mixture.
- Pour the sweet mixture over the sliced yams in the baking dish.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake for approximately 30-40 minutes or until the yams are tender. The exact baking time may vary depending on the thickness of the yam slices.
5. Add the Marshmallow Topping (Optional):
- If you want to include marshmallows, remove the aluminum foil, and sprinkle the mini marshmallows over the top of the candied yams.
- Return the dish to the oven, uncovered, and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes, or until the marshmallows are golden and bubbly.
- Let the candied yams cool slightly before serving.
Cooking Time: The total cooking time is approximately 30 minutes for the yams, plus an additional 5-10 minutes if you add marshmallows.
Serving Size: This recipe serves approximately 6-8 people as a side dish for Thanksgiving.