- 1 lb chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 1 can (14 oz) coconut milk
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 stalk lemongrass, smashed and cut into pieces
- 3-4 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 inch galangal or ginger, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar or brown sugar
- 200g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium-sized tomato, cut into wedges
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2-3 Thai bird chilies, sliced (adjust according to spice preference)
- Fresh cilantro leaves for garnish
- Lime wedges for serving
1. Prepare Ingredients:
- Slice the chicken breasts thinly. Cut the lemongrass into pieces and smash it to release flavor. Slice the galangal or ginger. Prepare the kaffir lime leaves.
2. Make the Broth:
- In a pot, combine chicken broth, coconut milk, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, and galangal. Bring it to a gentle simmer over medium heat.
3. Season the Broth:
- Add fish sauce, soy sauce, and palm sugar to the broth. Stir well to combine. Let it simmer for about 10-15 minutes to infuse the flavors.
4. Add Chicken and Vegetables:
- Add sliced chicken, mushrooms, tomato wedges, sliced onion, and Thai bird chilies to the pot. Cook until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender.
5. Adjust Seasoning:
- Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning if needed. You can add more fish sauce for saltiness, lime juice for acidity, or sugar for sweetness.
- Remove the lemongrass, galangal slices, and kaffir lime leaves. Ladle the Tom Kha Gai into bowls. Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves.
7. Serve with Lime Wedges:
- Serve the soup hot with lime wedges on the side for an extra burst of citrus flavor.
Cooking Time: Approximately 25-30 minutes.
Serving Size: This recipe makes about 4 servings. Adjust quantities based on your needs.