- 1/4 cup fish sauce (Nam Pla)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 Thai bird chilies, finely chopped (adjust according to spice preference)
- Optional: 1 teaspoon grated ginger
1. Prepare the Base:
- In a bowl, combine fish sauce, lime juice, and water. Stir well to combine.
2. Add Sweetness:
- Add sugar to the mixture. Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
3. Spice it Up:
- Add minced garlic and chopped Thai bird chilies to the sauce. Adjust the quantity of chilies based on your desired level of spiciness.
4. Optional: Ginger Zing:
- If you like, add grated ginger to enhance the flavor profile. Stir to combine.
5. Let it Sit:
- Allow the sauce to sit for at least 15-20 minutes before serving to let the flavors meld together. This also allows the garlic and chilies to infuse their flavors into the sauce.
6. Taste and Adjust:
- Taste the sauce and adjust the balance of sweetness, saltiness, and spiciness according to your preference. You can add more sugar, lime juice, or fish sauce as needed.
- Use Nam Pla Prik as a dipping sauce for grilled meats, seafood, or spring rolls. It can also be used as a condiment for noodle dishes.
Cooking Time: Approximately 15-20 minutes (including resting time).
Serving Size: This recipe makes about 1/2 cup of Nam Pla Prik. Adjust quantities based on your needs.