For the Salad:
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounces) black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 cup bell pepper (red, green, or yellow), finely chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
For the Dressing:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey or sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
1. Prepare the Salad:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the drained and rinsed black beans, black-eyed peas, drained corn, quartered cherry tomatoes, chopped bell pepper, chopped red onion, and fresh cilantro. Toss gently to mix.
2. Make the Dressing:
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the olive oil, red wine vinegar, honey or sugar, ground cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper. Mix until the dressing is well combined.
3. Combine Salad and Dressing:
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss everything together until the salad is evenly coated with the dressing.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate the Texas Caviar for at least 1-2 hours before serving to allow the flavors to meld.
- Before serving, give the Texas Caviar a final toss to recombine the flavors.
- Serve it with tortilla chips as a dip or as a side salad for grilled meats or tacos.
Serving Size: This recipe serves approximately 8-10 people as an appetizer.