- 1 pound tomatillos, husked and rinsed
- 2-3 green chili peppers (jalapeños or serranos), seeds removed for milder flavor
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves
- Juice of 2 limes
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional, to balance acidity)
1. Roast Tomatillos and Peppers:
- Preheat the broiler in your oven. Place tomatillos, green chili peppers, onion, and garlic on a baking sheet.
- Broil for 5-7 minutes, turning occasionally, until the tomatillos and peppers are charred and softened.
2. Blend Ingredients:
- In a blender or food processor, combine the roasted tomatillos, green chili peppers, onion, garlic, cilantro, parsley, lime juice, salt, and sugar (if using).
- Blend until the mixture reaches your desired consistency. For a chunky salsa, pulse a few times. For a smoother texture, blend until smooth.
3. Adjust Seasoning:
- Taste the salsa and adjust salt and lime juice according to your preference. If you prefer more heat, you can add additional chili peppers.
4. Chill (Optional):
- Refrigerate the salsa for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
- Serve the Tangy Salsa Verde with tortilla chips, tacos, grilled meats, or your favorite Mexican dishes.
Cooking Time: Approximately 15 minutes.
Serving Size: This recipe makes about 2 cups of salsa. Adjust quantities based on your preferences or the number of guests.