- 4 bone-in pork chops (about 1 inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (pimentón)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (adjust to your spice preference)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
1. Season and Sear the Pork Chops:
- Season the pork chops with salt, black pepper, and half of the smoked paprika. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Sear the pork chops for about 3-4 minutes per side, or until they develop a golden-brown crust. Remove the chops from the skillet and set them aside.
2. Sauté Onions and Garlic:
- In the same skillet, add the chopped onion and cook for about 2-3 minutes until it becomes translucent. Add the minced garlic and sauté for another 30 seconds.
3. Add Peppers and Spices:
- Add the sliced red and yellow bell peppers to the skillet. Sprinkle with the ground cumin, dried oregano, cayenne pepper, and the remaining smoked paprika. Cook for about 4-5 minutes until the peppers begin to soften.
4. Combine Tomatoes and Broth:
- Pour in the diced tomatoes and chicken broth. Stir to combine.
5. Return Pork Chops:
- Return the seared pork chops to the skillet, nestling them into the sauce.
6. Simmer and Cook:
- Cover the skillet and let the pork chops simmer for about 15-20 minutes, or until they are cooked through. The internal temperature of the pork should reach 145°F (63°C).
7. Check Seasoning and Garnish:
- Taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning with additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve your Spanish Pork Chops with the sauce and garnish with chopped fresh parsley if desired.
Cooking Time: The total cooking time is approximately 30 minutes.
Serving Size: This recipe serves approximately 4 people.