For the Shrimp:
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt for seasoning
For the Cocktail Sauce:
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons horseradish
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Prepare the Shrimp:
- In a large pot, fill with water and add lemon slices, a bay leaf, and a generous pinch of salt. Bring the water to a boil.
- Add the peeled and deveined shrimp to the boiling water. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the shrimp turn pink and opaque. Be cautious not to overcook to maintain a tender texture.
- Drain the shrimp and transfer them to a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process. Once cooled, drain again.
- Make the Cocktail Sauce:
- In a small bowl, combine ketchup, horseradish, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, black pepper, and salt. Mix well to ensure all ingredients are thoroughly incorporated.
- Adjust the heat and seasoning according to your preference. Refrigerate the cocktail sauce until ready to serve.
- Arrange the chilled shrimp on a platter or individual cocktail glasses.
- Serve the shrimp with the tangy cocktail sauce on the side.
- Cooking shrimp: 2-3 minutes
- Total time: Approximately 15 minutes (including preparation)
Serving Size: This recipe serves 4-6 people as an appetizer or part of a seafood platter.