- 1 pound (450g) provolone cheese, sliced into 1/2-inch rounds (you can use provolone, provoleta, or any similar cheese that melts well)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (adjust to taste)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dry white wine (optional)
- Sliced baguette or crusty bread for serving
1. Preheat the Oven:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
2. Prepare the Toppings:
- In a small bowl, mix together the minced garlic, dried oregano, crushed red pepper flakes, olive oil, and dry white wine (if using). This mixture will be used to season the cheese.
3. Assemble the Provoleta:
- Place the slices of provolone cheese in an ovenproof cast-iron skillet or a heatproof dish.
- Drizzle the seasoned garlic and herb mixture over the cheese.
4. Bake the Provoleta:
- Place the skillet or dish in the preheated oven and bake for about 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly and starts to turn golden on top.
- Carefully remove the skillet or dish from the oven and serve the Provoleta immediately while it’s hot and gooey.
- Serve the Provoleta with slices of baguette or crusty bread for dipping and spreading the melted cheese. Make sure to scrape the flavorful toppings from the skillet onto the bread for extra flavor.
Cooking Time: The total cooking time is about 15 minutes.
Serving Size: This recipe serves about 4 people as an appetizer.