For the Flaky Crust:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening, cold
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup ice water
For the Meat Filling:
- 1 lb ground beef or lamb
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots mix
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup beef or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare the Flaky Crust:
- In a food processor, combine flour, cold butter, vegetable shortening, salt, and sugar. Pulse until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Gradually add ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and pulse until the dough starts to come together. Be careful not to overmix.
- Divide the dough into two portions, shape each into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Make the Meat Filling:
- In a skillet, cook ground beef or lamb over medium heat until browned. Drain excess fat if needed.
- Add chopped onions and minced garlic to the skillet, sauté until softened.
- Stir in frozen peas and carrots mix, tomato paste, beef or vegetable broth, Worcestershire sauce, dried thyme, salt, and pepper. Simmer for 10-15 minutes until the mixture thickens.
- Assemble Mini Meat Pies:
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Roll out the chilled dough on a floured surface. Cut out circles to fit your mini pie pans.
- Line each mini pie pan with the dough, leaving some overhang.
- Spoon the meat filling into each pie crust.
- Roll out the remaining dough and cut strips to create a lattice pattern or cover the pies with a full crust. Seal the edges.
- Place the mini meat pies on a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
- Allow the mini meat pies to cool slightly before serving.
- Preparation: 30 minutes (plus chilling time)
- Cooking: 20-25 minutes
Serving Size: This recipe makes approximately 12 mini meat pies.