For the Marinade:
- 2 pounds (900g) thinly sliced pork shoulder or pork butt
- 3 dried ancho chilies, stemmed and seeded
- 3 dried guajillo chilies, stemmed and seeded
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1 tablespoon achiote paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small pineapple, peeled and sliced into rings
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 12-18 small corn tortillas
1. Prepare the Marinade:
- In a bowl, combine the ancho chilies, guajillo chilies, chopped onion, garlic, vinegar, pineapple juice, achiote paste, ground cumin, dried oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Use a blender or food processor to blend the marinade ingredients until you have a smooth, thick paste.
2. Marinate the Pork:
- Place the thinly sliced pork in a large bowl and cover it with the marinade, ensuring the pork is well coated. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight for the best flavor.
3. Grill the Pork and Pineapple:
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat. If you have a vertical rotisserie, that’s ideal. If not, you can use skewers for the pork.
- Thread the marinated pork onto skewers or onto a rotisserie if you have one. Grill the pork for about 5-7 minutes on each side, or until it’s cooked and slightly crispy.
- While the pork is grilling, place the pineapple slices on the grill and cook them for a few minutes on each side until they have grill marks.
- Once the pork is cooked, remove it from the grill and slice it thinly.
- Warm the corn tortillas on the grill for a minute or so.
- To assemble your Tacos al Pastor, place a slice of grilled pork on each tortilla. Top with grilled pineapple, chopped onion, and fresh cilantro.
- Serve the Tacos al Pastor with lime wedges, salsa, and additional toppings of your choice.
The marinating and grilling process will take about 4-8 hours (marinating time) and 20-30 minutes (grilling time).
This recipe serves approximately 4-6 people, with each person enjoying 2-3 tacos. Adjust the quantities as needed to suit your serving size.