For the Casserole:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounces) corn kernels, drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes with green chilies (like Rotel)
- 1 packet (1.25 ounces) taco seasoning mix
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish (optional)
For the Cornbread Topping:
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
1. Preheat the Oven:
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
2. Prepare the Casserole:
- In a large skillet, cook the ground beef or turkey over medium-high heat, breaking it into crumbles as it browns. Drain any excess fat.
- Add the chopped onion and bell pepper to the skillet and sauté for a few minutes until they’re softened.
3. Add the Ingredients:
- Stir in the black beans, corn, diced tomatoes with green chilies, and taco seasoning mix. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and fold in the sour cream.
4. Layer and Top:
- Transfer the mixture to a greased 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese evenly over the top.
5. Prepare the Cornbread Topping:
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, melted butter, and the egg.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients, mixing until just incorporated.
6. Add the Cornbread Topping:
- Pour the cornbread batter over the casserole mixture in the baking dish, spreading it to cover the filling.
- Place the baking dish in the preheated oven and bake for about 25-30 minutes or until the cornbread topping is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the casserole cool slightly before serving. Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro if desired.
Cooking Time: The total cooking time is approximately 25-30 minutes.
Serving Size: This recipe serves approximately 6-8 people.