- 2 pounds beef short ribs, flanken cut (about 1/2-inch thick)
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup mirin (sweet rice wine)
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 green onions, chopped (for garnish)
- Toasted sesame seeds (for garnish)
- Vegetable oil (for grilling)
1. Prepare Marinade:
- In a bowl, whisk together soy sauce, mirin, brown sugar, honey, minced garlic, grated ginger, sesame oil, and rice vinegar to create the marinade.
2. Marinate the Ribs:
- Place the short ribs in a large, shallow dish or a resealable plastic bag. Pour the marinade over the ribs, ensuring they are well-coated. Marinate for at least 2 hours, or overnight for the best flavor.
3. Preheat the Grill:
- Preheat your grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Brush the grates with a bit of vegetable oil to prevent sticking.
4. Grill the Ribs:
- Remove the ribs from the marinade and shake off excess. Grill the short ribs for about 3-4 minutes per side, or until they reach your desired level of doneness. Baste with the remaining marinade during grilling.
5. Garnish and Serve:
- Once cooked, transfer the grilled short ribs to a serving platter. Garnish with chopped green onions and toasted sesame seeds.
6. Optional: Serve with Accompaniments:
- Serve the Galbi with steamed rice, kimchi, and other banchan (side dishes) for a complete Korean barbecue experience.
Cooking Time: Approximately 8-10 minutes total, depending on your grill and desired doneness.
Serving Size: This recipe serves 4 people. Adjust quantities based on your needs.