- 2 large cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Thinly sliced radishes for garnish (optional)
1. Prepare the Cucumbers:
- Thinly slice the cucumbers using a mandolin or a sharp knife. Place the slices in a colander and sprinkle with salt. Toss to coat and let them sit for about 15 minutes to draw out excess water.
2. Rinse and Drain:
- Rinse the cucumber slices under cold running water to remove the salt. Pat them dry with a clean kitchen towel or paper towels.
3. Make the Dressing:
- In a bowl, whisk together rice vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, and sesame oil until the sugar dissolves.
4. Toss the Salad:
- In a large bowl, combine the cucumber slices with the dressing. Toss gently to coat the cucumbers evenly.
- Refrigerate the Sunomono Cucumber Salad for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
6. Garnish and Serve:
- Before serving, sprinkle toasted sesame seeds and chopped cilantro over the salad. Garnish with thinly sliced radishes if desired.
- Serve the Japanese Sunomono Cucumber Salad as a refreshing appetizer or side dish.
Cooking Time: No cooking time; this is a no-cook recipe.
Serving Size: This recipe makes 4 servings. Adjust quantities based on your preferences or the number of guests.