- 1 cup strong brewed espresso or very strong coffee, cooled
- 3 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 8 ounces (about 1 cup) mascarpone cheese, softened
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 package (about 7 ounces) ladyfingers (savoiardi)
- Unsweetened cocoa powder, for dusting
- Dark chocolate shavings, for garnish (optional)
1. Prepare the Coffee:
- Brew a cup of strong espresso or coffee. Let it cool to room temperature.
2. Make the Mascarpone Mixture:
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks and granulated sugar together until the mixture becomes pale and slightly thick.
- Add the softened mascarpone cheese to the egg mixture. Beat until well combined and smooth.
3. Whip the Cream:
- In a separate bowl, whip the heavy cream and vanilla extract until stiff peaks form.
4. Combine Mascarpone and Whipped Cream:
- Gently fold the whipped cream into the mascarpone mixture. Be careful not to deflate the whipped cream. The resulting mixture should be light and fluffy.
5. Assemble the Tiramisu:
- Quickly dip each ladyfinger into the brewed coffee, ensuring they are soaked but not soggy. Arrange a layer of dipped ladyfingers in the bottom of a serving dish (an 8×8-inch dish or a similar-sized trifle dish works well).
- Spread half of the mascarpone mixture over the ladyfingers.
- Add another layer of dipped ladyfingers on top.
- Spread the remaining mascarpone mixture over the second layer of ladyfingers.
- Cover the dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate the Tiramisu for at least 4 hours or overnight. Chilling allows the flavors to meld and the dessert to set.
7. Garnish and Serve:
- Before serving, dust the top with unsweetened cocoa powder. You can also garnish with dark chocolate shavings if desired.
Cooking Time: No cooking required; it’s all about assembly and chilling.
Serving Size: This recipe serves 6.