- 4 large ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 baguette or Italian bread, sliced into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (for toasting the bread)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the diced tomatoes, chopped basil, minced garlic, extra-virgin olive oil, and balsamic vinegar (if using). Mix well to combine all the ingredients. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set the tomato mixture aside to marinate while you prepare the bread.
- Preheat your grill or a grill pan over medium-high heat. You can also use a broiler in your oven.
- Brush the slices of baguette with olive oil on both sides. Place them on the grill or under the broiler and toast for about 1-2 minutes on each side, or until they are golden brown and have grill marks. Remove from the heat.
- While the bread is still warm, rub one side of each slice with a cut garlic clove. This will infuse the bread with a subtle garlic flavor.
- Give the tomato and basil mixture one final stir, then spoon a generous amount of the mixture onto each toasted bread slice. Drizzle any remaining dressing from the tomato mixture over the top.
- Arrange the bruschetta on a serving platter and garnish with additional basil leaves if desired.
Cooking Time: Approximately 15-20 minutes.
Serving Size: This recipe serves 4 as an appetizer, but you can easily adjust the quantities to serve more or fewer people.