- 1 bag (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- Zest of 1 orange (optional)
- 1 cinnamon stick (optional)
1. Rinse Cranberries:
- If using fresh cranberries, rinse them under cold water and discard any damaged or soft ones.
2. Combine Ingredients:
- In a medium saucepan, combine cranberries, sugar, water, orange zest (if using), and a cinnamon stick (if using).
- Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and let it simmer.
4. Cook Until Cranberries Burst:
- Allow the cranberries to simmer for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. The cranberries will burst and the sauce will thicken.
5. Adjust Sweetness:
- Taste the sauce and adjust the sweetness by adding more sugar if needed. Remove the cinnamon stick.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and let the cranberry sauce cool to room temperature.
- Transfer the cranberry sauce to a serving dish and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until fully chilled.
- Serve the homemade cranberry sauce as a side dish with turkey, chicken, or any other festive meal.
Cooking Time: Approximately 15 minutes.
Serving Size: This recipe makes about 2 cups of cranberry sauce. Adjust quantities based on your preferences or the number of guests.