For the Croissants:
- 1 1/4 cups warm milk
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cold
- Additional flour for dusting
- 1 egg (for egg wash)
- Unsalted butter
- Your favorite jam or preserves
1. Activate Yeast:
- In a bowl, combine warm milk, yeast, and a pinch of sugar. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes until it becomes frothy.
2. Make Dough:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the activated yeast mixture, sugar, 3 cups of flour, and salt. Mix until it forms a rough dough.
3. Incorporate Butter:
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface into a rectangle. Place cold butter in the center and fold the sides over it. Roll the dough out again, then fold it into thirds like a letter. Repeat this process twice more. Chill the dough for 30 minutes between each turn.
4. Final Roll and Cut:
- Roll the dough out one final time into a large rectangle. Cut it into triangles (like pizza slices).
5. Shape the Croissants:
- Starting at the wide end, roll each triangle into a croissant shape. Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Cover the shaped croissants and let them rise for 1-2 hours or until they double in size.
7. Preheat Oven:
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
8. Egg Wash:
- Beat an egg and brush it over the tops of the risen croissants for a golden finish.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until the croissants are golden brown and flaky.
- Allow the croissants to cool on a wire rack.
- Serve the French croissants warm with a side of unsalted butter and your favorite jam or preserves.
Cooking Time: Approximately 15-20 minutes.
Serving Size: This recipe makes about 12 medium-sized croissants. Adjust quantities based on your preferences or the number of guests.