Chinese Creamy Roasted Chestnut Soup
- 1 pound fresh chestnuts
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Prepare the Chestnuts:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Using a sharp knife, make a small slit or an “X” on the flat side of each chestnut. Place the chestnuts on a baking sheet.
- Roast the chestnuts in the oven for about 20-25 minutes or until the shells peel back. Allow them to cool slightly, then peel off both the outer shell and the inner skin.
- Chop the roasted chestnuts coarsely.
- Sauté Aromatics:
- In a large pot, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add chopped onions, carrots, celery, and minced garlic. Sauté until the vegetables are softened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Simmer the Soup:
- Add the roasted chestnuts to the pot and stir. Pour in the vegetable or chicken broth, and add the bay leaf and thyme. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 20-25 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld.
- Blend the Soup:
- Remove the bay leaf from the soup. Using an immersion blender or transferring in batches to a blender, blend the soup until smooth and creamy.
- Finish the Soup:
- Return the blended soup to the pot over low heat. Pour in the heavy cream, stirring continuously until well combined. Heat the soup for an additional 5-7 minutes, ensuring it is heated through.
- Ladle the creamy roasted chestnut soup into bowls. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley.
- Roasting chestnuts: 20-25 minutes
- Sautéing aromatics and simmering soup: 30 minutes
- Blending and finishing the soup: 15 minutes
Serving Size: This recipe yields approximately 4 servings.