- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- Salt, to taste
- Cayenne pepper, to taste (optional)
1. Create a Double Boiler:
- Fill a saucepan with a couple of inches of water and bring it to a simmer. Place a heatproof bowl over the simmering water, ensuring the bottom of the bowl doesn’t touch the water.
2. Whisk Egg Yolks:
- In the bowl, whisk together egg yolks, water, and lemon juice until well combined.
3. Gradually Add Melted Butter:
- While whisking continuously, slowly drizzle in the melted butter. Keep whisking until the sauce thickens.
- Season the Hollandaise sauce with salt and cayenne pepper (if using). Adjust the seasoning to your taste.
- Immediately remove the bowl from the heat and serve the Hollandaise sauce over poached eggs, asparagus, or your favorite dish.
Cooking Time: Approximately 10 minutes.
Serving Size: This recipe makes about 1 cup of Hollandaise sauce. Adjust quantities based on your preferences or the number of guests.