- 2 pounds (about 1 kg) russet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh chives or parsley for garnish (optional)
1. Boil the Potatoes:
- Place the potato chunks and peeled garlic cloves in a large pot. Cover them with cold water, add a pinch of salt, and bring to a boil.
2. Simmer and Cook:
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for about 15-20 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork-tender.
3. Drain and Keep Warm:
- Drain the potatoes and garlic in a colander. Return them to the warm pot and let them sit for a minute to dry out.
4. Mash the Potatoes:
- Using a potato masher or a ricer, mash the potatoes and garlic until there are no lumps.
5. Add Butter and Milk:
- While the potatoes are still hot, add the unsalted butter and pour in the whole milk.
- Continue mashing and mixing until the butter is melted, and the mixture is smooth and creamy. You can add more milk if needed to reach your desired consistency.
6. Season and Garnish:
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Optionally, garnish the creamy garlic mashed potatoes with chopped fresh chives or parsley for a burst of color and flavor.
- Serve your Creamy Garlic Mashed Potatoes immediately while they are hot.
Cooking Time: The total cooking time is approximately 30 minutes.
Serving Size: This recipe serves approximately 4 people.