For the Cherry Filling:
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen pitted cherries
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
For the Brownie Batter:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat the Oven:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and line an 8×8-inch (20×20 cm) square baking pan with parchment paper, leaving an overhang for easy removal.
2. Prepare the Cherry Filling:
- In a saucepan, combine the cherries, granulated sugar, water, and cornstarch. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the mixture thickens and the cherries soften, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
3. Make the Brownie Batter:
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter in the microwave or on the stovetop. Allow it to cool slightly.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Pour the melted butter into the sugar and egg mixture, stirring until smooth.
- Sift in the cocoa powder, all-purpose flour, and salt. Stir until just combined.
4. Assemble the Brownies:
- Pour half of the brownie batter into the prepared baking pan and spread it evenly.
- Spoon the cherry filling over the brownie layer, spreading it out as evenly as possible.
- Top with the remaining brownie batter, carefully spreading it to cover the cherries.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a few moist crumbs. Be careful not to overbake.
6. Cool and Serve:
- Allow the Cherry Brownies to cool in the pan for about 10-15 minutes, then use the parchment paper overhang to lift them out. Place them on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cooled, slice the brownies into squares and serve.
Cooking Time: The total cooking time is approximately 25-30 minutes.
Serving Size: This recipe yields approximately 12 Cherry Brownies.