- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 4 ounces high-quality dark chocolate, chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- Cocoa powder and powdered sugar for dusting (optional)
- Vanilla ice cream for serving (optional)
1. Preheat the Oven:
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C). Grease and lightly flour four ramekins.
2. Melt Chocolate and Butter:
- In a heatproof bowl set over simmering water or using a microwave, melt the butter and dark chocolate together. Stir until smooth. Remove from heat and let it cool slightly.
3. Prepare the Batter:
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, egg yolks, granulated sugar, and vanilla extract until well combined.
4. Combine Chocolate and Egg Mixtures:
- Slowly pour the melted chocolate mixture into the egg mixture, stirring constantly to avoid curdling.
5. Add Flour and Salt:
- Sift in the all-purpose flour and add a pinch of salt. Gently fold the dry ingredients into the chocolate mixture until just combined. Do not overmix.
6. Fill the Ramekins:
- Divide the batter equally among the prepared ramekins.
- Place the ramekins on a baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 12-14 minutes, or until the edges are set but the center is still soft.
8. Let it Rest:
- Remove the chocolate lava cakes from the oven and let them rest for 1-2 minutes.
9. Unmold and Serve:
- Run a knife around the edges of each ramekin and invert the cakes onto serving plates.
10. Dust and Garnish:
- Dust with cocoa powder and powdered sugar if desired. Serve immediately.
11. Optional: Serve with Ice Cream:
- For an extra indulgence, serve the Chocolate Lava Cakes with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Enjoy the rich and gooey center of the Chocolate Lava Cakes!
Cooking Time: Approximately 12-14 minutes.
Serving Size: This recipe makes 4 individual servings. Adjust quantities based on your preferences.