- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken (rotisserie chicken works well)
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced bell pepper (red or green)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas (thawed)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter, for greasing the casserole dish
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
1. Preheat the Oven:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
2. Prepare the Rice:
- In a saucepan, combine the white rice and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 18-20 minutes or until the rice is cooked and the liquid is absorbed.
3. Combine Ingredients:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cooked and shredded chicken, cooked rice, sour cream, mayonnaise, shredded cheddar cheese, diced onion, diced celery, diced bell pepper, thawed peas, garlic powder, dried thyme, salt, and black pepper. Mix until all the ingredients are well combined.
4. Grease the Casserole Dish:
- Grease a 9×13-inch (23×33 cm) casserole dish with butter.
5. Transfer Mixture to Dish:
- Transfer the chicken and rice mixture into the greased casserole dish, spreading it out evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 30-35 minutes, or until the casserole is hot and bubbly, and the top is lightly golden.
7. Garnish and Serve:
- If desired, garnish with chopped fresh parsley before serving. Serve hot.
Cooking Time: The casserole takes approximately 25-30 minutes in the oven.
Serving Size: This recipe serves approximately 6 people.