For the Chicken Mixture:
- 1 cup cooked chicken, finely shredded or minced
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped bell pepper (any color)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
For Coating and Frying:
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Vegetable oil for frying
1. Prepare the Chicken Mixture:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the finely shredded or minced chicken, grated cheddar cheese, chopped onion, chopped bell pepper, mayonnaise, breadcrumbs, minced garlic, dried oregano, dried basil, salt, and black pepper. Mix until all ingredients are well combined.
2. Shape the Chicken Cheese Balls:
- Take small portions of the mixture and shape them into small balls, about the size of a walnut.
3. Coat the Balls:
- Roll each chicken cheese ball in the breadcrumbs, ensuring an even coating.
4. Dip in Beaten Eggs:
- Dip each breaded ball into the beaten eggs, making sure it’s well-coated.
5. Repeat Coating:
- Roll the balls in breadcrumbs once more to create a double coating.
6. Heat the Oil:
- In a deep skillet or frying pan, heat enough vegetable oil for frying over medium-high heat.
7. Fry the Chicken Cheese Balls:
- Gently place the coated balls in the hot oil, a few at a time, and fry until they turn golden brown and crispy, usually about 3-4 minutes. Make sure not to overcrowd the pan, as it can lower the oil temperature.
8. Drain and Serve:
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the chicken cheese balls from the oil and place them on a plate lined with paper towels to drain any excess oil.
9. Serve Hot:
- Serve the Chicken Cheese Balls hot with your favorite dipping sauces, such as ranch dressing, ketchup, or honey mustard.
Cooking Time: The cooking time is approximately 3-4 minutes per batch of chicken cheese balls.
Serving Size: This recipe yields approximately 20-24 chicken cheese balls, depending on the size you make them.