For the Coleslaw:
- 1 medium green cabbage (about 2 pounds), finely shredded
- 2 large carrots, grated
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
For the Dressing:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
1. Prepare the Coleslaw:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the finely shredded cabbage, grated carrots, and finely chopped onion. Toss them together and set aside.
2. Make the Dressing:
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, white sugar, white vinegar, yellow mustard, celery seed, salt, and black pepper. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed. The dressing should have a good balance of sweetness and tang.
3. Combine Coleslaw and Dressing:
- Pour the dressing over the cabbage, carrots, and onion mixture.
4. Mix Thoroughly:
- Gently toss everything together until the coleslaw is well coated with the dressing.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight. Chilling allows the flavors to meld and the coleslaw to become more tender.
- Give the coleslaw a final toss before serving. It’s ready to be served as a side dish with your favorite barbecue, sandwiches, or grilled meats.
Cooking Time: The preparation time is approximately 15-20 minutes, plus chilling time.
Serving Size: This recipe serves approximately 6-8 people as a side dish. You can adjust the serving size by scaling the recipe up or down as needed.