- 1/2 pound (about 225 grams) ground pork sausage (mild or hot, based on your preference)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 4 biscuits (for serving, prepared separately)
1. Cook the Sausage:
- In a large skillet, cook the ground sausage over medium heat, breaking it up into crumbles as it cooks. Cook until the sausage is browned and cooked through, about 5-7 minutes.
2. Make the Roux:
- Sprinkle the flour over the cooked sausage in the skillet. Stir and cook for about 2 minutes, allowing the flour to absorb the sausage drippings.
3. Add Milk:
- Slowly pour in the whole milk while stirring continuously to prevent lumps. Bring the mixture to a simmer.
4. Simmer and Thicken:
- Continue to simmer the gravy, stirring often, until it thickens to your desired consistency. This typically takes about 5-7 minutes.
- Season the sausage gravy with salt and black pepper to taste. Be sure to taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Serve the sausage gravy hot over freshly baked biscuits.
- Biscuits can be prepared separately according to your favorite biscuit recipe or using store-bought ones.
Cooking Time: The total cooking time is approximately 15-20 minutes.
Serving Size: This recipe makes approximately 4 servings of Sausage Gravy, perfect for serving over biscuits.